Friday, March 16, 2012

Day One

Everything starts tomorrow.

Saturdays are the beginning of the "food week." Every Friday night we sit down and decide what we want to eat for the week. We get excited about new dishes, give ourselves a break with old standbys on busy nights, and maybe plan a night out. We make a menu and a shopping list. I get excited, every time, about the possibilities ahead.

About five years ago this ritual became a lot more complicated. After months of illness and weight loss, I was diagnosed with a gluten allergy. I had to learn a lot about where gluten hides and how to cook and bake without it. While I do miss the convenience of eating gluten free, I actually feel lucky that my illness had such a simple solution.

In fact, I have learned so much about cooking and baking and health, not to mention new and delicious flavours, that I think I actually like being allergic to gluten.

I am starting this blog to help other people in this city feel the same.

I will provide tips on sourcing ingredients, restaurant reviews, updates on new products, and lots of recipes. I also hope this blog can be the meeting place for a community of people. Wouldn't you love to go to a potluck where you could eat everything? Starting this blog, tonight, as my husband soothes my infant son, could be the beginning of something amazing.

So, I guess, everything starts tonight, actually.

6 comments:

  1. Way to go, Kate! Best wishes on this new adventure. XXOO, Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate! You sound like such a mom! All the best of luck on your journey. I recently came across this site that might inspire some family recipes for the gluten free: http://paleoparents.com/blog/

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Can't wait to see the amazing things you do here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate: you have a solid base upon which to build this blog and I know that there's a host of people who'll benefit from your own explorations, explanations, and expectations pertaining to a glute-free Halifax. Excellent idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kate: I have celiac disease and can't wait to see what you post. I'll definitely be following!

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete